Created in 2003 at the initiative of the Pays de la Baie du Mont-Saint-Michel sustainable development association, today the "Village Patrimoine", or Heritage Village, label constitutes a new tourism asset for numerous rural communities in the Hauts-de-France region. Its purpose is to highlight the historical, artistic, remembrance, landscape and human heritage of villages which are often located close to towns that attract high visitor numbers.
The ravages of the First World War left a profound mark on Bullecourt. The village forget very close links with the Australian nation, which suffered heavy losses. Completely obliterated by the end of this conflict, and classified as a "red zone" due to the trememdous number of shells that had rained down on its devastated landscape, it would not have seemed possible that the village could be rebuilt. It succeeded in rising from the ashes thanks to the exploitation of its fertile land and its development of crafts and commerce. The architecture of Bullecourt retains some remarkable traces of this period of the "Reconstruction": its Artois farms, its characteristically fronted town hall and its church with its sandstone bell-tower porch.
Born of a merger between Vaulx and Vraucourt, sealed on 24 May 1821 by the royal command of Louis XVIII, this deeply rural and european village suffered terrible devastation in the First World War. Sadly, many vestiges of its past were buried in those dark years.
Vaulx-Vraucourt has the distinction of having two churches, both reconstructed after the Great War. One identically: the Church of Saint-Martin, was built at the initiative of the Longueval family, who profoundly marked the history of the municipality. The effigies of Jean III de Longueval and his wife Jeanne de Rosimbos can still be admired in the church. The second, the Church of Saint-Omer is considered a jewel of Art Deco style.